Tuesday, September 8, 2009

L.A. Story

I spent my Labor Day weekend laboring over my documentary short film, due this week. It's almost complete, and I've upped my novice technical game considerably with my editing system. Finally.

On Sunday, I took a much needed break from working on this historical documentary of my city to check out a local screening of another historical documentary on the Los Angeles area - the 2003 film, Los Angeles Plays Itself. This terrific film essays Los Angeles as it has been depicted on film throughout history - as subject and character, backdrop and muse.

Some of my favorite locations and architectural landmarks in the city are highlighted in this nearly 3 hour opus. Director Thom Andersen makes some keen insights, such as the fact that George Kennedy seemed to be in every L.A. disaster movie of the '70s. I presume that the reason the documentary sadly is not planned for DVD release is due to rights issues for all of the film clips and music. It seemed like most of Los Angeles tried to squeeze into the theatre to see this rare showing, introduced by Andersen. The screening sold out both nights it was
playing; I hope it will be brought back again so more people can see this absorbing and layered look at the city most captured on film.

If you get a chance to see it on the big screen, definitely check out this cool L.A. story.

No comments:

Post a Comment