Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wild

I wasn't so wild about Where the Wild Things Are.

Granted, I am likely no longer the audience target for the film, but I'm not completely sure who is. I loved Maurice Sendak's classic 1963 book when I was young, as I imagine many other adults in the audience did as well. It always seemed ahead of its time. There were a lot of small children around when I saw the film, but I don't think they are the target audience either. At least I hope not - it's a bit dark and intense for young viewers. More likely, Warner Bros. is aiming for older kids and hipster young adults with a bit of retro nostalgia. The lead character in the film adaptation appears to need counseling more than a wild rumbus - or at least the benefit of a stronger ending. The film is beautifully shot, though, so hats off to Lance Acord, the cinematographer.

I was more intrigued by Lance Bangs' and Spike Jones' cool companion documentary for HBO, Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak. It's a revealing and intimate portrait of the life and career of this visionary curmudgeon, who talks about death a lot and isn't particularly fond of children. The film has already been shortlisted for the Academy Awards documentary-short category via a brief, qualifying theatrical run in LA recently.

Now that's wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment