Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mockumentary

I love a good mockumentary, whether via film or tv. Christopher Guest, I bow to you, for such laugh-tastic classics as This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show. And I applaud myself for seeing you on that plane from JFK once and not disturbing you like the crazed fan that I could be.

I recently attended a fun event at The Paley Center for Media in celebration of Parks and Recreation, now in its sophomore season on NBC Thursday nights. I must agree with critics that it is much improved from its abbreviated first season, and applaud NBC for sticking with it. Starring SNL veteran Amy Poehler, the series is a mockumentary sitcom in the vein of (and with some of the creators of) The Office, another favorite (albeit aging) show of mine. It centers around the parks and recreation department of the fictional city of Pawnee, Indiana, and is a sweet and funny love letter to city governments across the land. My friends in the local parks and recreation department enjoyed attending the event with me, so I'm taking that as another ringing endorsement. Check it out for an ensemble cast and writing that is coming together nicely.

I am also enjoying the freshman season of Modern Family on ABC Wednesday nights. This mockumentary about a wacky and diverse family has become quite popular this season, striking a fine balance between comedic and relatable family situations.

Check out both shows for a light-hearted television salute to the documentary form.

No comments:

Post a Comment