Friday, July 31, 2009

Parks

Did I mention that I am directing my first documentary short video? It's for a small workshop, and I am surrounded by a great group of talented folks. My topic is on the local pier, surrounding park and coastal area in town, on the occasion of the pier's 100th anniversary. My interviewee target got back to me and luckily so did several other people. Even the mayor. How nice! Warm hugs for everyone. The pressure is on though, and with all of the preparation, you would think I am directing some David Lean epic.

I am wondering if this is how Ken Burns started out. Because I am thinking of his films in putting my little effort together. Given that it will involve mainly archive images and interviews, I will be going for the "Ken Burns Effect" to give some life to the images. I am dying to see his upcoming PBS doc on parks, The National Parks: America's Best Idea. Check out the great preview on the PBS site for the film.

Very worthy topic, our parks. I recently read a Vanity Fair excerpt from The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America. The book explores Roosevelt's key role in creating our national park system and promoting conservation. Another book I need to add to the growing pile, but I am already sure it will be a great read.

Go hug a tree today - and give a little thanks to Ken and Teddy for their work on behalf of our parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment