Monday, November 16, 2009

Python

I love British humor. It's often an acquired taste for Americans, but I can thank my brother for introducing me to the joys of the iconic Monty Python troupe in the mid-70s before I was old enough to even understand the depths of their satirically subversive comedy.

I spent a lazy Sunday catching up on some more of my DVR queue, with IFC's recent 6-hour documentary, Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer's Cut). It offers quite an extended (maybe more time than truly needed) look at the history of these comic pioneers. John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, the late Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam are still influencing comedians with their biting social commentary disguised as sketch comedy, and enveloped with Gilliam's wonderfully weird and surreal animation. Their game-changing BBC television series led to popular feature films, albums (some of which I had the pleasure of working on during their re-release), and one of my favorite Broadway shows in recent memory, Spamalot. It was great fun to revisit some of their most memorable moments and the creative process of this brilliant group.

Catch it on IFC and remember, "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life"!

No comments:

Post a Comment