Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Queue

I am finally catching up on my DVR queue. After my Tivo died this spring, I realized my that new DVR doesn't have the incredible feature of allowing me to fast forward on slow speed while the captions are on to skim through a show. Thus, I have been backlogged on the copious amounts of documentaries in line to be viewed. Here are the recent highlights that I think are worth catching when they are re-aired:

HBO has been airing a number of great docs lately: Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags, details the rich history and unfortunate decline of the Garment District in NYC. Its rise helped build America's middle class and labor movement in the early 20th century; its decline has mirrored and helped to drive our current state of economic despair. In 1965, 95% of American clothing was manufactured here in the U.S.; today only 5% is. That's staggering.

Outrage examines the hypocracy of closeted gay politicians who vote against and speak out against gay rights issues. It's really wild. The film is directed by Kirby Dick, who also made This Film Is Not Yet Rated, about the strange and shielded methods behind the MPAA ratings system.

By the People: the Election of Barack Obama follows the candid, dramatic and moving moments behind this historic and inspirational campaign. The campaign success was driven not only by the charismatic Obama, but by a strategic, idealistic and largely youthful staff of devoted advisors and followers. My favorite is the little 9-year old volunteer who helped work the phones. Classic.

PBS has also had a number of strong docs on its programming lineup, including Inventing LA: The Chandlers and Their Times - a fascinating saga about the rise of Los Angeles - driven by the determination, power and hubris of the family that built the Los Angeles Times, now on a downward spiral. It's a really cool film for LA history buffs, particularly the Chandlers' sordid activities as the model for one of my favorite films, Chinatown, and the background of Dorothy Chandler's continued influence on arts and culture in the city. It's juicy stuff.

I also watched all four hours of the energetic Latin Music USA, which traces the history of Latin jazz, mambo, cha cha cha, salsa, Chicano rock, Tejano, Latin pop and reggaeton. Wow. All the way from the NYC clubs of the early 20th century to Santana's LSD-laced debut at Woodstock to Ricky Martin Livin' La Vida Loca at the Grammys. It had me dancing in the aisles (ok, my living room).

Finally, I am enjoying ESPN Films' 30 for 30 sports documentary series of 30 films celebrating the network's 30th anniversary. I watched The Band That Wouldn't Die, a heartwarming film directed by Barry Levinson about the Baltimore Colt's marching band, which kept the spirit alive for a football franchise return after the team's defection to Indianapolis in the '80s.

Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment