Friday, June 18, 2010

Brothers

Better late than never, I always say.

I finally screened the 2001 HBO dramatic miniseries Band of Brothers this week. After being engrossed in The Pacific this year, I wanted to see its epic and much-heralded predecessor. I had missed the original run - living in NY with the events of 9/11 eerily transpiring a few days after its launch.

My friend loaned me the impressive box set, and it only took a week's worth of TV viewing time as the summer doldrum of post-season finales set in. Perfect time to catch up on a real masterpiece of the medium. Somehow, I've become a war buff of sorts - but this series really set a high-water mark.

If you haven't seen it, the 10-part series dramatizes the real men and events of E "Easy" Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment assigned to the 101st Airborne Division - an elite and innovative U.S. Army paratrooper squad assembled at the height of WWII. Among other achievements, these incredible young men parachuted behind enemy lines in the maelstrom of D-Day, were a frontline force outnumbered and without supplies during the wintertime Battle of the Bulge, and ultimately were the first to ascend upon Hitler's infamous Eagle's Nest mountain retreat. Their efforts and the Band of Brothers series that pays tribute to them, remain unprecedented triumphs. Michael Kamen's score alone still gives me chills.

I also checked out the many extra features on the DVD set, including a magnetic documentary, We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company. The film includes interviews with the surviving men portrayed in the miniseries, interspersed with actual footage of the battles re-enacted during it. This was a terrific aid in understanding all of the episodes, and was honestly quite emotional. I can't wait to also finally read Stephen E. Ambrose's book on which the series is based.

I'm glad I made the time for Band of Brothers. It's so easy to forget each day the sacrifices of those who came before us and the true bravery of soldiers who were just kids - pulled from their quiet lives and thrust into hell. Kids who saved the world, but didn't consider themselves heroes. Just a band of brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment