Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wooden

It's tough to think of a life these days more worthy of celebration than Coach John Wooden. The iconic coach, teacher and author passed away last Friday night and I think at least everyone in the Los Angeles area breathed a collective, heavy-hearted sigh. At 99 years old and with recent health challenges, his passing was not exactly surprising but a profound loss for the sports world and beyond nonetheless.

I am glad to report that HBO2 will be re-airing The UCLA Dynasty documentary in tribute to him this Friday, June 11th at 7:30pm ET/PT. It captures the amazing run of UCLA's 10 NCAA men's basketball championships under Coach Wooden's leadership.

I had the honor of meeting him once, briefly, at a book signing at the Westwood Borders - down the street from the campus where he made history all those years ago. He was promoting his book, Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organization, which he graciously signed, along with my all-time favorite, Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections on and Off the Court. I told him how I had often given copies of that book to others over the years because it meant so much to me. I will never forget that moment and his lasting inspirational messages that have served so many athletes and everyday folk in finding success and a life well-lived.

One of my favorite John Wooden quotes: "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

Thanks Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment