Friday, August 21, 2009

30(something)

I love when my favorite old tv shows make their way to DVD, mostly because the behind-the-scenes documentaries offer a glimpse into the magic of what made them so special.

I wasn't yet even twentysomething when thirtysomething hit the airwaves in 1987. I watched it faithfully during the four years I was in college, even though the themes of adult angst weren't yet even relevant to me. At one time, I had all of the episodes recorded off of Lifetime on VHS, until I accidentally taped over the transcendent "Nancy -----, Gary ----" episode (no spoilers here). My collection was thus woefully weakened and ultimately abandoned during one of my many twentysomething moves. As the first season of this groundbreaking show finally comes to DVD, I am less than one month away from no longer being thirtysomething myself, with adult angst in focus, and hoping an episode marathon will spark an 11th hour gem of insight long dismissed (Help me Obi-Wan Ed Zwick, you're my only hope).

I attended a fun Paley Center LA screening and Q&A for the DVD release this week - it was so great to see and hear some of the renowned cast and creative team behind the show recollect their experiences. Apparently music rights issues have long held up the release, so I am thankful that they all got sorted out. The documentary features and commentaries on the making of the show and its cultural impact should be interesting; such a terrific ensemble effort all the way around ensures the legacy of a very cinematic show that likely would not have found a home on the broadcast networks in this era. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series being released on DVD in 2010.

thirtysomething at nearly twentysomething or barely fortysomething is much better than no thirtysomething at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment