Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rights

I spent the day watching a marathon of impressive docs at DocuWeeks LA. Good stuff all around, and it struck me that each of the films that I screened has the subject of rights at its core.

Soundtrack For a Revolution examines the U.S. civil rights movement through the songs that inspired and propelled protesters in the 1960s. Using gripping archive footage (much of which I had never seen before), eyewitness interviews, and new musical performances by contemporary artists, the filmmakers eloquently capture the spirit of this tumultuous period. The film is directed and written by Bill Guttentag and Dan Sturman (who did the acclaimed Nanking documentary on my doc to-view list), and Danny Glover serves as one of the executive producers.

Key participants and leaders in the movement share their difficult memories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things to achieve equality and justice. The reflections and footage are framed by the performances of top artists including Joss Stone, The Roots, and Wyclef Jean, who re-interpret the moving protest songs and spirituals - born out of oral traditions - that drove the non-violent approach to change. These same songs sustained the protesters when violence came to them. The film captures a scene of Pete Seeger singing "We Shall Overcome", which became the theme song of the revolution - and is still the centerpiece of his concerts nearly 50 years later. I also loved Richie Havens' current interpretation of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken". I'm now on the hunt for the soundtrack to this stirring film!

Tapped examines whether access to clean drinking water is a basic human right or a simple commodity that can be bought, sold and controlled. The film exposes the big business of bottled water, which is impacting local communities - and utimately, all of us. Via the regulatory, environmental, medical and financial issues surrounding the consumption of bottled water vs. tap water, the filmmakers include many line items of the debate.

The film has given me a lot to think about in terms of my own consumption of water and has motivated me to explore ways that I can change my habits. I like to think I am trying hard at being healthy and a good citizen - some days better than others, I suppose. Always room for improvement, and I'm grateful once again for documentaries that highlight important issues like this.

Rock Prophecies explores the career of rock music photographer Robert Knight, who for 40 years has shot many legendary artists on the road to success, and continues to nurture the next generation of musical talent. Selling the rights to his photographic catalog of 200,000 images could help defray the costs of caring for his elderly mother, but will he do it?

Knight started out shooting Jeff Beck (I can see Christopher Guest channeling him in This is Spinal Tap) and Jimi Hendrix in 1968. At his first Hendrix concert, Knight brought only 1 roll of film and shot only 14 frames, but the images ignited his career. He shot the last images of Stevie Ray Vaughan hours before the famed guitarist died, and is haunted by Stevie's musical re-incarnation prophecy "You'll know me when you hear me". Knight encounters 16-year-old blues guitar prodigy, Tyler Dow Bryant, who could be the new Stevie, and they embark on a heartfelt journey to take a shot at fame.

I'm grateful for the rights that I have - in all of their many forms - and for the people who have fought and continue to fight for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment