Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Star

Try as I might, I simply do not enjoy watching reality tv talent competition shows. I apologize en masse to my friends at the various networks and production companies, but most seem to be doing ok without my eyeballs. I used to think that shows like American Idol at least created some kind of strange, quasi-national unity in their quest to unleash the next big star, but now I keep thinking that they may just be helping to pull us farther apart and away from reality.

I recently saw a screening of Afghan Star, a documentary about a reality tv talent competition show - with an interesting bent. The setting is Afghanistan's Afghan Star show - their American Idol. The film offers a fascinating look at four show finalists and what they encounter as the democracy of tv voting and pop culture take the country by storm - after three decades of war and Taliban rule. Like death threats for dancing on the air. Another stark reminder of the liberties we often take for granted.

HBO Documentary Films has picked up the U.S. rights to the film, and plans to air it early next year. The film is directed by Havana Marking (her first feature documentary directing effort), and won both the directing and audience awards in the Sundance Film Festival World Cinema Documentary competition this year.

Check it out for a true dose of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment